Seniors match reports

Coventry Evening Telegraph Cup – 1st round

Brinklow 2 (Lawes1, Evans 27) - Folly Lane 5

Brinklow crashed out of the Telegraph Cup at the hands of old rivals Folly Lane. The home team made the better start   with Carl Lawes scoring in the first minute after intercepting a shot from Paul Saunders and diverting it past the visiting keeper. Brinklow went two – up on 27 minutes when Lee Evans rose unchallenged to head home a Jayden Rickhuss corner. Folly Lane brought the game to parity with two goals in as many minutes courtesy of a free header and Brinklow’s failure to clear a cross which found the right foot of one of the best strikers at this level of football. After the break Folly Lane continued with their brand of attacking football which left the home defence exposed on several occasions. Three further Folly Lane goals in the second half made it a disappointing afternoon for the home side.


BRINKLOW: Mallinson, Banton, Cawley, Evans (Judd 72), Long, Blackmore,Brough (Nelson 57), Saunders, Gordon, Rickhuss, Lawes


Coventry Alliance League - Premier Division


Hawkesmill Sports 0 - Brinklow 5 (Cawley 8, Lawes 15,Gordon 35, Rickhuss 40, 65)


Brinklow moved up to second in the league with a convincing win at Hawkesmill. Midfield trio Ryan Byrne, Reece Blackmore and Liam Cawley were in dominant form as Brinklow controlled the game from the start. Liam Cawley opened the scoring after eight minutes linking with Carl Lawes and slotting the ball home from ten yards. Carl Lawes increased Brinklow’s lead seven minutes later meeting Ally Keay’s cross at the far post. Andy Gordon made it three – nil after curling a shot past the keeper from the edge of the area on 35 minutes. A shot from Jayden Rickhuss was fumbled by a Hawkesmill defender to give Brinklow a four nil lead after 40 minutes. The second half saw stand – in keeper, Joe Taplin produce a magnificent reaction save to preserve his clean sheet. Jayden Rickhuss hit a further goal on 65 minutes, scoring with a shot from the edge of the area after some good link up play with Reece Blackmore.


Coventry Charity Cup – Round 1


Brinklow 5 (Rickhuss 20,53,79 Lawes 66,Evans 76)  - Sphinx S.S. 0

A Jayden Rickhuss hat – trick led the way into the next round for Brinklow. The prolific striker opened the scoring on 20 minutes after receiving the ball on the edge of the penalty area turning and firing into the top of the net. Two minutes later Andy Gordon was denied by the leg of the Sphinx keeper after making a solo run and hitting a low shot from just inside the box. On 30minutes the away keeper was at full stretch producing a one – handed save to deny Reece Blackmore.   A bad – tempered spell shortly before half – time saw a Sphinx player sent off. Brinklow took full advantage of the numerical advantage and went further ahead on 53 minutes when a measured cross from Carl Lawes found the head of Rickhuss. A Brinklow corner on 66 minutes was dummied by Marc Woodward leaving Carl Lawes to apply the finish. Ryan Byrne provided the cross for Lee Evans to head Brinklow’s fourth on 76 minutes. On 79 minutes an Alex Platt corner found Rickhuss in space on the edge of the area. The Brinklow striker was left with time to position his shot to complete the scoring.


BRINKLOW: Mallinson, Banton, Keay, Woodward, Evans, Blackmore, Byrne, Gordon (Brough 72), Rickhuss, Cawley (Platt 63), Lawes

Leave a Reply